Saturday, October 29, 2011

Spotlight on an Abilene Resident: Deane E. Ackers

Views of the Past is currently featuring brief biographies of former Abilene residents. These photographs and biographies were recently featured in an exhibit at the Jeffcoat Photography Studio Museum. Even if you are not from Abilene or do not know these people, these stories are invaluable since they paint a portrait of small town life. Both the photograph and text of this post are courtesy of the Jeffcoat Photography Studio Museum. The following was written by Bill Jeffcoat about Deane E. Ackers (1893-1966):


Hiram Ackers lived on Buckeye and 10th Street and was a very successful real estate broker. He and his wife raised two sons (one of them, Deane). Deane started in with C.L. Brown as an engineer with the United Power and Light Co. With its demise, he was instrumental in putting together a collection of power companies, forming the Kansas Power and Light Co. He was President and C.E.O. of that firm. Deane and his wife had no children and are buried in Topeka, Kansas. In high school, he was on the football team with Dwight D. Eisenhower.

3 comments:

  1. I am the great-niece of Deane Ackers, the grand-daughter of his younger brother Frank Ackers. My mother was born in the house on Buckeye and I visited it as a child while my grandfather was living. I also stayed with Great Uncle Deane and Aunt Vinnie in their Topeka home. I would like to know if there is a museum, either in Abilene, or, at the University of Kansas which may be interested in some ephemera in my possession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte. The Dickinson County Historical Society in Abilene may be interested in this collection. If you would like to give us a call, our Director could discuss this further with you. Our society can be reached at (785) 263-2681, please ask for Jeff. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I will be visiting Abilene in May, 2022. I am hoping to contact the current owners of the Ackers home on Buckeye. I'd love to see the home again and can give them a picture of the house with Deane and Frank and their ponies on the front lawn.
    I plan to contact KU as well as I understand they have the Deane E Ackers papers. I have ephemera from his and Frank's college years.

    I would appreciate any assistance in contacting the Buckeye home owners.

    ReplyDelete