A Brief Look at Abilene's Historic Buildings: Abilene's First School
The Jeffcoat Photography Studio Museum recently featured the exhibit City on the Plains: A Look at Abilene Architecture. The following is a brief look at Abilene's First School. (Photograph courtesy of the Jeffcoat Photography Studio Museum.)
The first schoolhouse in Abilene was constructed in 1868 by Mathais Nicolay. Nicolay was an 1866 settler of Abilene, a bridge builder, and carpenter. The building was originally located at the corner of Southwest Second and Mulberry streets and became a residence in later years. In 1969, the building was moved and restored, and today stands on the eastern edge of Abilene's city limits.